When Jill and Gavin Winslow’s cousin, Steven Schwalbach, heard about Gavin and his financial need – he knew he wanted to help. He turned to his friend Jill Albrecht, who is a friend of the owners of Classic Lanes Bowling Alley — and the idea for a bowl-a-thon was born. After months of planning, Steven’s vision of the “Bowlin’ for Gavin” bowl-a-thon became a reality.
There were beautiful sounds coming from the Classic Lanes Bowling Alley on Sunday, January 28, 2007. A symphony of bowling balls rolling, pins falling, pizzas baking, beverages flowing, and people laughing could be heard everywhere in the building. The participants and volunteers at the “Bowlin’ for Gavin” bowl-a-thon came to have fun and help our precious baby, Gavin.
And just when we thought it couldn’t get any better, we heard the unbelievable news that Classic Lanes owners Gary and Gina Daroszewski decided to donate ALL of the bowling proceeds to Gavin (as well as giving a monetary contribution)! Thank you so much Gary and Gina for not only providing the venue for “Bowlin’ for Gavin”, but your additional generosity. Also, a big thank you to Heidi and her staff at Classic Lanes the day of the bowl-a-thon, they did a wonderful job helping the “Gavin group” the entire day. We couldn’t have done it without you!
As Gary Daroszewski always likes to say, “It’s not only about the bowling…it’s about the people!” Because of all the wonderful people involved in our “Bowlin’ for Gavin” bowl-a-thon, we were able to raise $1,959.80 for Gavin’s fund.
And these incredible people deserve an extra special thank you:
Silent auction thank youâ€™s go to:
- Culver’s Restaurant – Gift Certificates
- Melody Castro – Stampin’ Up Gift Package
- Foy Swenson, PGA Pro/Head Pro Oconomowoc Golf Club – Professional Golf Lessons
- Kathie Krohn â€“ Mary Kay Gift Basket
- Krispy Kreme – Gift Certificates
- Lady Fingers & Feet â€“ Manicure and Pedicure Gift Certificate
- Mineshaft Restaurant – Restaurant Gift Cards
- PartyLite – Glass Pillar Stand and Pillar Candle
- Pier One – Gift Card
- Thunder Mountain Press â€“ “God & Country” Limited Edition Print
- Vinny and Kristin Carpenter – Cheesecake Factory Gift Card, Marcus Entertainment Gift Card, and DVD/CD items for “Entertainment Gift Basket”
Bowl-a-thon thank youâ€™s go to:
- Gary and Gina Daroszewski
- Heidi, Marie, and the staff at Classic Lanes Bowling Alley
- Gavin’s cousin, Steven Schwalbach (organizer of event)
- Jill Albrecht (help with obtaining venue)
- Erik Richardson (flyer and ticket design)
- Gavin’s Uncle Jim, Aunt Joy, and Cousin Karin Schwalbach (Gavin check-in/silent auction table)
- Gavin’s Aunt Sally Gile (Gavin check-in/silent auction table)
- Gavin’s Grandpa “Pop Pop” Bill Schwalbach (everything)
- Melody Castro (donation of homemade salsa and chips – all proceeds going to Gavin)
- Kyle and Ryan Mayer (very special volunteers at bowl-a-thon)
- Samantha Christianasen (help with silent auction items)
- Glenda Herro (promotion of event)
- WKTI Morning Show (promotion of event)
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church (free advertising of event in parish bulletin)
- Greenfield Fire Department (walk-in donation)
On behalf of precious baby Gavin, our sincere thank you for helping us give him a second chance at life.